Choosing the right photographer for your headshot
1. First of all, if you are buying on price alone you will find there is a wide range of prices from really cheap to fairly expensive head-shots. The first question you need to ask yourself is what is most important to me? Having the best headshot possible or finding the cheapest photographer?
2. Next, you will want to look for someone who specializes in what you are looking for. Be sure to review several web-sties and find a style that is similar to what you would expect for your professional headshot. If you don’t like what you see on the website, do not hire that photographer.
3. Pick up the phone and call. Ask some questions. Will I get to see my images while I am at my session? Do you have a studio or can it be shot on location? How long will it take to receive my images? What kind of usage rights do i receive with the fee? Do you provide retouching or is that extra? All these things go into the pice of a professional portrait.
4. What most people do not realize when they hire a photographer is that they are buying a license to use a particular image or set of images. The photographer retains all rights to the images. The client is buying the right to use the images in the manner that the client and the photographer agree to. The more usage for the image, generally the more expensive. So, it’s important to discuss the usage with your photographer.
5. You also want to see what kind of questions the photographer ask you. The photographer should be concerned with your brand and where your images will be displayed so that they can make better decisions on how to photograph you. Everyone is different and you should be photographed in a way that tells a story about you. Personally, I would not want to be just another headshot on some boring backdrop, but come away with a unique image that is personal to me and my business.
Hopefully, these tips will help you hire a photographer that will give you the best image possible. After all, your first impression is usually your best, so why show yourself off with a dull boring out-of-date image.